January 29, 2008

I'm Always Right...I Think

Last night I was reading a book that my sister gave me for Christmas, What I Know Now – Letters to My Younger Self. It is a compilation of letters from strong, accomplished, powerful women to themselves at whatever age they felt they needed the most guidance. So far, I have found most of these letters very wise and insightful. However, after I read the introduction for Senator Barbara Boxer (D – California) and knowing where she’s from and what she stands for, I immediately thought that there is no shred of wisdom this crackpot can impart to me. I think God heard that thought and said, “wanna bet?” Here is what Senator Boxer had to say…

Dear Barbara,

You’re full of fire. You’re passionate about quality education, safe streets, the environment – all of these things. I know you feel these things in your heart and your feel them strongly, but look, you have to understand that the next person may hold their beliefs with the same amount of passion that you have. Don’t be so judgmental about other people. Don’t be so quick to dismiss another human being. Don’t jump to the conclusion that another person just doesn’t get it or isn’t wise enough just because he doesn’t agree with you.

The name of the game in politics is to move forward an issue you deeply believe in. You’re just starting out and young enough to be impatient when people don’t see your point of view. Stop and listen to what you’re saying: I can’t believe you feel that way! And How could you possible think that way? You’ve shut off the potential to learn from that person you’re talking to and you’ll be less of a person for it. In the end, you’ll lose what matters most – the chance to advance an issue you care about.

There’s something else you may not want to face: It’s easier to be judgmental. It’s less work to see everything in black and white. But every single person is as important as you are and has a story to tell, just like you do. Open up your mind to other points of view – and you may not have to experience how losing an election can take you down a peg or two.

Your staunchest supporter,
Senator Boxer

I have never been so quickly corrected or convicted before. I may have even blushed at my harshness when I finished reading. I generally consider myself to be extremely flexible and open-minded. It was a good reminder to me that that quality is a skill that needs to be practiced and it doesn’t come easy.

1 comment:

Tina Rogers said...

Ok, I know MDH and you are giving him WAY too much credit! LOL! I've booked mark you, so now you know someone is reading!!

Tina